Friday, November 5, 2010

Sea (or tree) change

Ever thought about or actually had a sea (or tree) change?

Every Friday night Hubby and I watch the English show Move to the Country. We love it and often think, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do, especially if you could get an old character filled home with land. Also just recently a good friend of mine announced that she is moving from an inner City suburb of busy Melbourne to the beautiful, somewhat more peaceful surrounds of the Adelaide Hills. This got me to thinking could I do the same?

The Grampians, Victoria - cottage we stayed in last Christmas

Funnily enough I already have but the other way around. As a young child I lived just outside a small English village and walked down a country lane surrounded by green fields to school. I had a beautiful forest just down the road that we would go for walks in every weekend. Then at the age of 10 I moved with my family to the Adelaide Hills where I could see a hill with sheep and horses out of my bedroom window.


But then in my late 20s (10 years ago) decided to move to a inner City suburb of Melbourne with my then fiancé, now husband. So the question I suppose is more, could I go back? Part of me would like to, especially as my parents still live in the Adelaide Hills and my oldest close friends are there, but a lot harder now with children and I do love the buzz of Melbourne.

I also wonder how easy it would be to sell our home, one we have now lived in for nearly seven years, are currently renovating and last but by no means least brought our children home to just after they were born. We have planted trees in the garden and watched them grow, we measure our children against them.

I know from reading others blogs that some of you have renovated then sold or made big changes. Love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to learn more about you. I would like a tree/sea change at the same time. Noosa is ideal for me!
    Having renovated and sold, I didn't feel my heart sore to move. I was excited, even though I left something finished and polished, to another reno!! For me also it was all win/win with the improvements to lifestyle as we have a much better location, schools, infrastrucure etc. I guess kids being settled in school and up-rooting them would be my big concern. It's all about them now isn't it?! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a sea change 18 mths ago, moving from a small country town in The Blue Mountains to Maitland, near Newcastle, NSW & we love it. We chose to move to give our kids better opportunities. 3 of the 4 kids have loved it but one is very shy & it has been a bit traumatic for her unfortunately. All in all it is definately the best thing we have ever done & our only regret is that we didn't move sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I are moving in January from Sydney (about 20 kms from the city) to the Southern Tablelands of NSW. He has work in Canberra (transfer already arranged) and we will rent for 12 months before we decide whether it will be permanent and suits all the family. Unfortunately we found out on the weekend that the house we had agreed terms on had been rented to someone else (friend with domestic issues), so we will have to keep looking for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made the change from Canberra 6 years ago to up near Noosa and haven't regretted it apart from not seeing friends. It is beautiful country here. Funnily enough some people from around here have made changes from here to Tassie. Are we ever content with what we have?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails