Sunday, October 31, 2010

Way back when - last day of Blogtoberfest

It is the last day of Blogtoberfest and even though I didn't end up posting everyday, I certainly posted more regularly and met some great new blogging friends. It was a good month and a milestone one, with our builders starting work.

Now for some reason looking back over the last month also got me to thinking and looking back in general. This antique dresser not only is nearly 100 years old it is the first item of furniture I bought. (It is not normally this bare by the way, I normally have a vase of flowers and candles on it but they all have been packed up).

I loved it from the first time I saw it in the Antique Market in Adelaide and as soon as I had saved enough put it on lay-by when I was 21, over 15 years ago.

The thing I love about old furniture is that it has a story and a past. Also as I read somewhere recently it is better for the environment to buy old pieces, so that's good to know.

I have also enjoyed visiting others blogs and seeing how others have restored items found at markets or op shops, it has given me ideas for some of my existing pieces which are looking a bit tired.
Like the coffee table above, made from recycled timber, which I also bought in my early twenties, has a lot of marks on the top (hard to see here but can't take a close up a friend has it at the moment). Anyway thinking of giving it a sand and white wash to go in our new family area when completed. What do you think? The area is going to have a blue and white theme, to go with our blue sofas (the narrow space they are currently in below is going to be the dining area).

Hope you all had a good October and have a great Sunday, oh and Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails